It is important to learn about all the public transport modes around Brisbane and Queensland including the bus, train, City Cat, ferry, taxi and CityCycle. The cheapest and more convenient way to go around is by purchasing the Go-Card, a rechargeable pre-paid electronic card. You “touch on” at the start of your trip and “touch off” when you finish your journey. Brisbane is divided in different zones (1 to 5). The closer your destination, the cheaper the fare is.
Citycycle Brisbane’s new public bike hire service available to everyone 17 years of age and older. For more details on the network, subscription and usage fees, visit www.citycycle.com.au
- Only cross the street when the pedestrian traffic lights are green.
- Keep to footpaths and don’t walk on the road.
- If you cycle, you must wear a helmet and follow the road rules as if you were driving a car.
We drive on the left side of the road. To drive in Australia, you need an English translation of your driver’s license. Make sure that you know the road rules before you drive. Do show courtesy to other drivers to look up a particular address. If you are going to drink alcohol, do not drive.
Taxis are another way to travel around the city. Sometimes you need to book them in advance. When paying for a taxi fare, you can do it with cash, EFPOS or credit card. Always ask for a receipt.
More Useful Tips
- Go-card is Trans-Link’s electronic ticket that lets you travel on all Trans-Link bus, train and ferry services.
- Find out which is the shortest and/or more regular route for your trip on the Trans-Link website www.translink.com.au.
- If you are entitled to Student discount, carry your student ID card with you at all times.
- Be at the station at least 5 minutes before your bus/train/ferry is due to arrive.
- If you are travelling late at night on weekends, find out if there is a night route that goes near your destination.
- Elderly people and pregnant women have priority seating.
- Do not eat, drink or smoke in public transport or in taxis.
- Always make sure you carry your ticket with you.
- Free transport – The Free Loop Bus operates every 10 minutes around the city on weekdays between 7am and 6pm.