International students on student visas are allowed to work up to 40 hours per fortnight once they commence their courses. Students are allowed to work on a full-time basis during their holidays.
Make sure you:
- Have a work permit in your visa (Condition 8105). You can check the work entitlements of your visa on http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Stud
- Obtain a Tax File Number (TFN) so that you can supply it to your employer. For more information, go to www.ato.gov.au.
- While you are working, if you have any problems with your employers, go to these websites:
Unions Australia www.australiaunions.org.au
Fair Work Australia www.fairwork.gov.au
- Check this page www.myfuture.edu.au. This is a self-paced website where you can discover your strengths as well find tips for job applications and résumés.
- Finally, if you wish to apply for Skilled Migration Visa after your studies, check this Government website www.border.gov.au or consult with a registered migration agent.