It is important to learn about all the public transport modes around your city including the bus, train, ferry, taxi and bicycle routes. To learn more about your transport options, check in your city of choice (CITY INFO) and go to TRANSPORT.
- Only cross the street when the pedestrian traffic lights are green.
- Keep to footpaths and don’t walk on the road.
- If you cycle, you must wear a helmet and follow the road rules as if you were driving a car.
We drive on the left side of the road. To drive in Australia, you need an English translation of your driver’s license. Make sure that you know the road rules before you drive. Do show courtesy to other drivers to look up a particular address. If you are going to drink alcohol, do not drive.
Taxis are another way to travel around the city. Sometimes you need to book them in advance. When paying for a taxi fare, you can do it with cash, EFTPOS or credit card. Always ask for a receipt.
More Useful Tips
- If you are entitled to Student discount, carry your student ID card with you at all times.
- Be at the station at least 5 minutes before your bus/train/ferry is due to arrive.
- If you are travelling late at night on weekends, find out if there is a night route that goes near your destination.
- Elderly people and pregnant women have priority seating.
- Do not eat, drink or smoke in public transport or in taxis.
- Always make sure you carry your ticket/card with you.