Work rights and responsibilities

International students on student visas are allowed to work up to 40 hours per fortnight once they commence their courses. Students are allowed to work on a full-time basis during their holidays.

Make sure you:
  • Have a work permit in your visa (Condition 8105). You can check the work entitlements of your visa on this link: Check visa details and conditions
  • Obtain a Tax File Number (TFN) so that you can supply it to your employer. For more information, go to
  • While you are working, if you have any problems with your employers, go to these websites:
    Unions Australia
    Fair Work Australia
  • Check this page This is a self-paced website where you can discover your strengths as well find tips for job applications and résumés.
  • Finally, if you wish to apply for Skilled Migration Visa after your studies, check this Government website or consult with a registered migration agent.